10 Ways To Stay Cool
Keeping cool when temperatures reach record highs isn’t just about comfort. Dangerously high temperatures can result in heat-related illnesses.
Here’s a few tips to help you stay cool all summer long.
1. Wear loose-fitting clothing, preferably of a light color. Try a fabric designed to wick away sweat (such as you find in workout clothing). If you prefer cotton, make it thin and light.
2. Change your workout time. If you workout outside, take advantage of cooler times (early morning or late evening). If you can’t change the time of your workout, scale it down by doing fewer minutes, walking instead of running, or decreasing your effort.
3. Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water along with sports drinks or other sources of electrolytes. Avoid caffeine and alcohol as they promote dehydration.
4. Try lighter and cooler foods, including frequent small meals or snacks containing cold fruit or low fat dairy products.
5. Fans can help circulate air and make you feel cooler even in an air-conditioned house.
6. Take frequent baths or showers with cool or tepid water.
7. Keep plastic bottles of water in the freezer—grab one when you’re ready to go outside. As the ice melts, you’ll have a supply of cold water with you.
8. If you don’t have air-conditioning, arrange to spend the hottest part of the day in a shopping mall, public library, movie theater, or other public space that is cool.
9. Spritz yourself. Keep a spray bottle of water in the refrigerator, and when the going gets hot, give yourself a good squirt.
10. Ditch your shoes. As the sweat on your feet evaporates, it cools the skin and the blood in your feet. That cooler blood is then sent to other parts of the body, giving you a greater sensation of coolness.
Be sure to use common sense, if the heat is too intolerable, stay indoors when you can and avoid activities in direct sunlight or on hot asphalt surfaces. And don’t forget that pets also need protection from dehydration and heat-related illnesses too. This summer already feels like it’s going to be a hot one, so use these tips to stay cool.