As you start to age your metabolism begins to decrease. It is not a rapid decrease but a slow over time decrease BUT you can prevent most of this decline!
3 Reasons Why Your Metabolism is Dropping When You Are Over 40
- You are losing muscle mass.
- You are not as active as you used to be
- You are still eating like you did when you were 20
How to Boost your Metabolism Over 40
- More calorie burn while doing nothing by having more muscle mass
- Increase muscle mass increases your resting metabolic rate. As opposed to straight cardio you typically only burn while performing the cardio. Muscle building will last longer throughout the day as you are recovering from the workout.
- Decrease body fat and it fills out the skin as you lose weight
- You need to get on a weight training program
Does Metabolism Slow with Aging??
Learn more here…
Increase your activity will help boost your metabolism
- This doesn’t mean you need to sign up for some insane workout at the gym!
- A great start is Increasing your daily steps,
- if you only do 5,000 steps per day increase it to 8,000.
- Recommended Minimum steps per day is 10,000.
- Ways to increase your steps by parking further from the entrance, make a walking meeting at work, take the stairs, walk your dog, take the kids or grandkids to the park.
Taking Kids to the Park?
Adjust Your Eating
Back in the day you probably could eat a ton more and not gain. It’s a bit more trickier as you get older. First thing that probably comes to mind is to eat less. How does that make you feel???
First off make sure you aren’t overeating. Meaning if you are eating 3,000 calories per day that is probably way over your where you need to be. But if you are only eating 1,200 calories per day DO NOT CUT your calories. Unless you are under 5 foot tall, you need to be eating more than 1200 calories per day. By increasing your activity and adding lean muscle to your body you will already have boosted your metabolism.
Plus these following suggestions:
Eat Protein at each meal
Protein is key to helping your body build muscle.
How much protein?
Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) suggests 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight. If you weighed 145 pounds you would need 52.7 grams of protein per day. This is the MINIMUM. The Amercian College of Sports MEdicine suggests 1.2 – 1.7 grams per kilogram.
The easiest way to figure this out is to multiply your current weight times 1 or 1.5 on the higher end.
PLEASE NOTE: if you have kidney disorder or other issues where higher protein can be damaging do not increase your protein. Always talk to your doctor before making any significant dietary changes.
What’s the difference between losing body fat and losing weight?
When you’ve been sleeping, you are in a fasted state. You blood sugar levels are low. You need to eat breakfast to get the brain working and your body ready for activity.
For those of you who say you can’t eat first thing in the morning. You should be hungry when you wake up. If you aren’t hungry, you might be eating too much the night before and haven’t burned off the food.
Recap On How To Boost Your Metabolism Over 40
- You need to build muscle
- You need to keep moving (earn your sit)
- You need to eat
If you would like help putting this all together so you can get faster fat loss results, request your free phone consult with me! By going to HERE.