Do You Need A Fat Burner To Lose Weight?
I received this question from AnnaMarie. They wanted to know whether I use fat burners and what is my opinion of fat burners.
What is a fat burner?
A fat burner is a supplement some people take thinking it will help metabolize fat loss. Fat burners are typically made up of different compounds:
- Ma Haung
- Green tea
- Ephedra – (if you are familiar with ephedra you know it was taken off the market for causing heart problems and people dying)
- Chromium…to name a few…
Most of fat burners are made up with caffeine being in the main ingredient.
Here Are Some Facts On Fat Burners
- Just because it says “natural” on the label doesn’t mean it’s safe for you.
- Supplements are not regulated in the USA. There are no strict guidelines as to what goes in the product. It is unfortunate but it typically takes someone dying or getting very sick from a supplement AND telling the right people about it for any action to happen. Many of these supplements have not been tested for safety.
- What’s on the label may not be in the bottle. Again, going back to the no regulation of supplements in the USA.
- Take for instance, ephedra (also known as ma huang. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) banned the sale of supplements containing ephedra due to serious cardiovascular complications and even risk of death.
- Be very, very wary of what supplement company you are using.
Do I use supplements? Yes.
Do I use fat burners? NO.
I will explain why shortly….The whole point of supplements is to “supplement” to your nutrition.
If you’re eating junk food all day long and you take a fat burner nothing is going to happen. You won’t lose any weight because you are not building the foundation for fat loss.
IF your nutrition is on point along with your workouts THEN you can add supplements in.
Do I think you need to take a fat burner?
I don’t care who you are or what you’re trying to accomplish, I think taking a fat burner is one of the worst things you could probably do for your body. I think they’re a waste of money because you know you’re paying 10-20 bucks for a little bottle.
You can absolutely lose body fat without using fat burners.
You must be doing the following:
- Eating for your particular goals
- Have a customized workout program designed for you goals
- Getting enough sleep
- And the desire to want to achieve your goals.
Question: “Nicole, would you take a fat burner if you are getting close to stage time and you aren’t physically there yet?”
No. I don’t feel you need a fat burner. If you have allowed yourself enough time to get down to the level of leanness that you need for that particular competition or movie or whatever your goals are…you either didn’t do the work required or you need longer time to get there.
It’s the people who wait till the last minute …who decide they have to lose 20 pounds in a week for an upcoming event. Those are who are driven to take this way as a “last resort”. It’s like cramming for a final …you should of studied throughout the semester not try to cram it all in into one week!
People like this are messing with their metabolism and could have a heart attack. Why would you want to do that to yourself?! If you are working with a coach that pushed fat burners on you… I don’t think that’s a good coach. I don’t want to sacrifice my health and if your coach cares about your health they’re not going to recommend it either (and if they do maybe you shouldn’t be working with them).
Truth of the Matter
Maybe what you should be asking yourself is “Am I giving a hundred percent to my fitness plan??”
In today’s society, we want everything yesterday. Well…it doesn’t happen that way.
Nothing worth having is easy.
Do the work that’s involved to get the results you want.
I hate to say it …but don’t half-arse it 😉
Don’t take the easy way out.
It will only mess you up later on.
Moral of the Story
If you want to bump up your heart rate or you want to revv up your metabolism… go have a cup of coffee or some green tea (better yet go for a walk!).
You don’t need a fat burner. Coffee cost like $0.02 if you brew it at home. So have a cup of coffee and I hope you will think twice if you feel the need to have a fat burner.
I want to hear from you! Have you ever taken a fat burner? If so, what was you reaction to it? Comment below.